BT Data Center
Data Center- A brief history
Early computer systems were complex to operate and maintain, and required a special environment in which to operate. Many cables were necessary to connect all the components, and methods to accommodate and organize these were devised, such as standard racks to mount equipment, raised floors, and cable trays. Also, a single mainframe required a great deal of power, and had to be cooled to avoid overheating. Security was important – computers were expensive. Basic design guidelines for controlling access to the computer room were therefore devised.
During 1980s as computers started to be deployed everywhere, information technology (IT) operations started to grow in complexity and companies grew aware of the need to control IT resources. The availability of inexpensive networking equipment, coupled with new standards for network structured cabling, made it possible to use a hierarchical design that put the servers in a specific room inside the company. The use of the term “data center,” as applied to specially designed computer rooms, started to gain popular recognition about this time.
Why Data Center?
IT operations are a crucial aspect of most organizational operations around the world. One of the main concerns is business continuity; companies rely on their information systems to run their operations. If a system becomes unavailable, company operations may be impaired or stopped completely. It is necessary to provide a reliable infrastructure for IT operations, in order to minimize any chance of disruption. Information security is also a concern, and for this reason a data center has to offer a secure environment which minimizes the chances of a security breach.
Data centers are involved in running Amazon, Facebook, eBay, Disneyworld, etc. Regardless of the size and purpose of the data centers, all data centers serve one purpose that is to “process information”.
Challenges faced in a Technical(Server) Room
- Power outages and no backup
- No redundant connections in the network (LAN)
- Lack of environmental controls
eg. Colling, fire, dusts, rodents
- Lack of management system
- Missing the “Always ON” service
Our Solution-BT Data Center
BT Data Center was inaugurated on 11th January, 2015 by his Excellency Lyonchen Tshering Tobgay. It is a Tier III design certified by Uptimes Institute, USA, globally recognized for the creation and administration of the Tier Standards & Certifications for Data Center Design. Our BT Data Center has a concurrent maintainable site infrastructure with expected availability of 99.982% and 1.6 hours downtime/year and has 72 hours Power outage protection.
BT Data Center has a total space of about 5000 Sq.ft on two floors with 130 racks and is located in Phuentsholing where we have our international gateway.
BT Data Center is connected to Thimphu on dual fibre links and to the rest of the country on nationwide fibre optic network.
Technical and Functional Specification
- Design Load: About 1 MW
- Power Supply: Dual feed (2MW) from power substations and dual supply to racks 2-phase and 3-phase
- Power Backup:30 minutes UPS with battery backup on full load + DG
- Cooling: Efficient and maximum cooling design hot aisle – cold aisle
Precision air-conditioning (PAC) and AC
- Racks: Intelligent management including network and PDU
- IBMS : BT Data center is protected by high security intelligent building management systems (IBMS)
- Fire Suppression: Very Early Smoke Detection & Alarm (VESDA)
2 Hours fire-rated doors, walls and partitions
Gas suppression (NOVEC 1230) and extinguisher
- Environmental Controls: Water detection system and rodent repellent system
- Security: Access control and surveillance system, 12” RCC wall
BT Data Center Services
The services offered by BT Data Center are as follows
- Rack space for both single and 3 phase power
- Cage services
- Cloud services
Further, BT Data Center can also offer the following services in addition to the hosting services
- Remote hands
- Managed services
Towards “BT Cloud” for the BIG DATA Readiness
Don’t invest in Data Center
BT Data Center is READY to provide infrastructure
Computing is not your core business
BT Data Center is your computing platform
Don’t overpay doing your own
Pay per use with On-Demand Applications from BT Data Center
BT Data Center Pricing
50% Discount has been provided on the BT Data Center Services.
a) Single Phase Power
MRC in BTN Single Quarter Half Full 1 U 10 U 20 U 40 U Old Price(Nu) 6,000 36,000 66,000 120,000 New Price(Nu) 3,000 18,000 33,000 60,000
b) Three Phase Power
MRC in BTN Single Quarter Half Full 1 U 10 U 20 U 40 U Old Price(Nu) 6,750 43,497 80,994 149,988 New Price(Nu) 3,375 21,748.50 40,497 74,994
MRC in BTN Minimum space required: 45 Sq.Ft Old Price(Nu) 6,000 New Price(Nu) 3,000
- AC – Air conditioner
- PAC – Precision Air Conditioning
- DG – Diesel Generator
- IaaS – Infrastructure as a Service
- IBMS – Intelligent Building Management Systems
- IT – Information Technology
- LAN – Local Area Network
- MW – Mega Watt
- PDU – Power Distribution Unit
- PaaS – Platform as a Service
- SaaS – Software as a Service
- UPS – Uninterruptible Power Supply
- VESDA – Very Early Smoke Detection & Alarm